Thursday, July 4, 2013

CT. RIVER DEP -- Combined MAS & CTSA -- 3 July 2013

Seven CTSA painters joined the MAS paint-out on this hot and steamy pre-holiday Wednesday -- Kay, Kaleigh, Terry, Judy, Bob VanM, Jay (who convenes the group for MAS) and me. It got pretty hot for those of us who set up in the open when there had been cloud cover earlier, but a nice breeze kept things cool for those who painted in shade of trees or the gazebo.

This is a beautiful site, with a long boardwalk that runs from the DEP park site out over the edge of the river, under the bridge, along the marsh to an elevated platform. A few weeks ago, Sally, who is a birder, had mentioned to me that she heard a marsh wren when she was leaving my house on Leete's Island. She said "You always hear them but never see them." Although I did not know the marsh wren's song, I knew yesterday when I heard this chant of birds that it must be. From the platform, I was able to see down into the dense fragmites, where one little wren atop an obscured DEP sign was directing the chorus.

Unfortunately, Judy escaped before I realized, and I did not get a photo of her painting. I know I missed some others, as well. And I was running off myself, so I didn't get a group shot this time.

We will be on the other side of the river next Tuesday and hoping for more of that sea breeze or some cloud cover. Wouldn't it be nice if Founders' Park had a gazebo!

 






















No comments:

Post a Comment