Friday, October 4, 2013

Birbarie Marine -- 3 October 2013


Greetings to All,

Well, the best laid plans... When I arrived at Foote Memorial Park Thursday morning around 9:05. Sally and Tom had heard from a park worker that there would be a large affair right where we were planning to paint. Sally suggested we might move to Birbarie Marine -- right down the road. While Sally went to be sure they would have us, I scrambled to make a sign to post on my "change of plans" easel at the entrance, directing CTSA painters to move to Birbarie.

Meanwhile, Betsey arrived, and Jay, Pam, and Gretchen B. Kay and Terry saw the sign and caught up with us at Birbarie. All nine of us started fairly late. Pam had to leave early but managed to dash off a fresh little painting, in spite of the truck that blocked her view for a while.

It was a fine morning, hot in the sun, but we pulled out a few shade umbrellas and tucked in behind buildings and boats. LOTS of things to paint. We will return here regularly, as long as they will have us. And then there's the bonus of the Lobster Shack open air restaurant.  Six stayed for lunch -- Kay, Terry, Jay, Sally, Tom, and Betsey.

I took the liberty of including a photo of a certain blue-water cruising sailboat -- SV Wildwood -- that is moored just down the river from Birbarie. Unfortunately, the photo is not sharp enough for you to admire a hint of my gleaming fresh varnish on the trim around the cockpit!

Next week, Clinton Harbor -- Sally's suggestion. Sally will issue the call to paint, with directions, convene the group, and post the recap.

Unfortunately I will not be with you next week, as I am trying something new. For a long time, I have been interested in painting people and the gestures of relationship -- not nudes, not portraits, but clothed bodies in their environment. I have been waiting for a spot to open up in New Haven's Brush and Palette Club, where a small group works from models. The invitation came just two days ago. Unfortunately, the group meets on Thursday mornings, so I will have to do some creative scheduling between now and December, when CTSA quits for the winter. But the fall's inclement weather may help me to split my time between CTSA and B & P. We'll see how it goes. But you can be sure I will not be pushing you to paint in the rain or heavy wind for a while!

Images from Birbarie Marine





































No comments:

Post a Comment