Saturday, September 7, 2013

Riverside Park, New London - 7 September 2013


CTSA was well represented at the Down By The Riverside Festival today. We turned out seven painters -- Cheryl, Keiko and her friend Valerie, both Gretchen B and Gretchen K (her first time out with us this year), Elena, and me. The weather was perfect, and the Conservancy had cleared sight lines so that we had windows on the Thames River behind the park's trees and understory.

I arrived about 8:15 and got myself painting a bit before 9, having sketched three scenes from photos. That enabled me to mostly complete two paintings before lunch. Other artists began arriving around 10:30, as the festival began officially at 11 AM. Most of our group sat down for a quick complimentary lunch just after noon. Everyone else went back to work, but I had planned to leave in time to get back to Guilford before GAL receiving closed at 2 PM. I was wishing I could stay. The live music and a picture perfect day made for great ambiance, and I felt I could have turned out a couple more paintings through the afternoon.

Like Sally on Thursday, I got wrapped up in my own paintings and in watching the clock and neglected to shoot photos.  Just for flavor, I've included a few pics of the park that I shot earlier this week in the rain and a couple from this morning before things got going. It was a challenge artistically... not much man-made...

Our paintings will go to the New London Train Station for I think about a month-long exhibit opening October 19.

Next week, we're back to our Thursday schedule and painting at Hammonassett for our first time this fall. Check the blog before you go to learn where we will meet. It might NOT be Meig's Point.

/j









No comments:

Post a Comment